Valley Chabad will ignite six public menorahs erected across the Pascack and Saddle River Valley Communities, followed by celebrations throughout Chanukah.
Prominent community leaders and local elected officials will be in attendance. Following the menorah-lighting ceremonies, guests are invited to join in the singing and enjoy traditional Chanukah foods like donuts, latkes and chocolate “gelt” coins for the children.
This year, the annual tradition in the Pascack Valley and Saddle River communities takes on extra significance in the wake of the horrific attack last week in Jersey City. At each lighting, the lights will be lit in memory of the Jersey City police officer as well as the victims at the Kosher Market killed in the targeted attack of hate. “Our response as a community is to come together,” explained Rabbi Drizin, Valley Chabad executive director. “When we come together as one [we] can be an unstoppable force for good and light. This is the story of Chanukah and this is the relevant message we can live with today.”
See list below of the Valley Chabad public Chanukah events.
- 1. River Vale: Sunday, December 22, 4:00 p.m., at River Vale Community Center, 628 Rivervale Rd.
- 2. Woodcliff Lake: Monday, December 23, 4:30 p.m., in front of F. Silverman Jewelers at Tice’s Mall
- 3. Allendale: Monday, December 23, 6:00 p.m. at Allendale Borough Hall
- 4. Montvale: Monday, December 23, 6:00 p.m. at Montvale train station
- 5. Westwood: Thursday, December 26, 6:00 p.m. at Westwood train station
- 6. Woodcliff Lake: Thursday, December 26, 6:00 p.m., at Old Mill Pond
For more information about Chanukah and a complete schedule of local events, visit ValleyChabad.org/Chanukah or call 201-476-0157.