There’s nothing more fun than a mash-up of two beloved desserts. For Shabbat dessert this week, why not grab some pareve Oreo-style cookies like Joe-Joe’s, Hydrox or Paskesz chocolate sandwich cookies and mix up a batch of cookie-laden Rice Krispie Treats? What makes this recipe even more fun is the drizzle on top, basically a vehicle to hold an extra dusting of cookies.
- 1 tablespoon Smart Balance margarine or other margarine/butter substitute
- 1 package (10 oz., about 40) marshmallows, or 4 cups miniature marshmallows, or 7 ounces marshmallow cream (for example, marshmallow fluff)
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 8 Oreos or pareve sandwich cookies, crushed
- 1½ cups (150 grams) confectioners’ sugar, sifted to remove any lumps
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk or water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 Oreos, finely crushed
1. Mix the crushed Oreos into the cereal and set aside.
2. In large saucepan melt Smart Balance over low heat. Be careful not to scorch the Smart Balance. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
3. Add cookie and cereal mixture. Stir until well coated.
4. Using a buttered spatula or wax paper, evenly press mixture into a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray.
5. When cool, drizzle glaze over the bars and sprinkle crumbled oreos on top of the glaze. Cut into 2-inch squares and enjoy.